OpenEmbedded bug found and squashed

I’ll be using Python extensively for my robotics project with Gumstix. The goal is to come up with a set of modules that let the user create high-level behavior programs for the robots without worrying about how to control the hardware. Of course none of this is going to happen if I can’t actually get the Python interpreter to work on the Gumstix.

The basic Linux installation on the Gumstix doesn’t come with Python, so I had to put in on there manually. The Python packages for Gumstix are very modular, which lets installation of only the needed packages without anything extra. Instead of just installing the required packages on the Gumstix I decided to create a fresh root filesystem image, since I would be installing it on multiple Gumstix. What I really needed was the Pyserial package which provides a nice Python interface to serial ports. That was the only package that I added to the buildscript (more on that later), hoping that it would pull in all the required dependencies. After I finished the build and reflashed the Gumstix using the wiki instructions, I booted up and started the Python interpreter. But to my horror, it wouldn’t load the Pyserial module. Apparently it needed an older implementation of various string functions which weren’t pulled in. So I repeated the process, by adding the older module to the build script. Even then the Pyserial module wouldn’t load because it couldn’t find the struct module. By this time I was starting to get frustrated, because the struct module should have been pulled in with just a basic Python implementation. The struct module handles conversions between Python values and C structs represented as Python strings. This module not being found meant that somehow the entire OpenEmbedded Python system was fundamentally broken.

After a bit of research with the help of Google, it turned out that there was an error with the file which contains a listing of all the files that make up the base Python system. This file had an incorrect reference to which files actually implemented the struct module. This problem had occurred in the OpenEmbedded system around November last year and had been fixed, but somehow the fix had not found its way into the Gumstix version of OpenEmbedded. So I’ve dutifully filed a bug report and submitted patch, and I’m hanging on to my corrected Python manifest while the patch is implemented (which will hopefully be soon).

This whole experience of tracking a bug in a system I hadn’t created and finding a fix for it was quite an interesting experience. On one hand it was quite frustrating because the problem wasn’t it something I had an intimate knowledge of. On the other hand it forced me to learn a lot about the OpenEmbedded build system and I also learned how to go about looking for documentation, all of which will come in handy as I keep working with Gumstix and the OpenEmbedded system. And last but not least, it led to my first ever patch submission for a large software project — not much of a contribution, but it certainly makes me feel good !!

5 thoughts on “OpenEmbedded bug found and squashed

  1. Hi I wonder could you tell me how to fix this?

    I don’t think a patch has been applied- I’ve run ipkg update & reinstalled python on the gumstix and the error still happens.

    I’ve updated openembedded (to rev 316), rebuilt python however this package fails its MD5 sum.

    My manifest file still has
    within the python-core package

    I’m confused though, because all of the .so files are included in this way.

    As a commenter has noted, the fix posted to sourceforge has the wrong file attached, even though the post refers to


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s